Mother, daughter, sister, neice, cousin, and friend

Mother, daughter, sister, neice, cousin, and friend

Monday, December 02, 2013

A Few of My Favorite Things, Part 1 AKA December Decorations

I love my Christmas Tree.  It's not stuffy or formal.  It's not color coordinated or fit for a Southern Living photo spread. It's a mishmash of the past and the present.  Over the years, I've gone from a live tree to an artificial one; from multi-colored lights to all white.  I have really, really cheap ornaments from the Dollar Tree to more expensive ones given to me as gifts and they all have a place.

As an adult, I started off with the intention of having a Snowman theme for my tree and decorations.  But, I also had ornaments from my childhood and my Grandmother and Mother's trees that I just could not part with, so they stayed.  A few years ago, I thought a Candy theme would be neat, but now, I have some Snowmen ornaments that will never get booted from the tree.  So I decided that, while it would be nice to someday have a tree that was fancy and looked professionally done, right now it is even nicer to have a Christmas Tree that actually means something for me and my children.  (Perhaps if I ever have a home and budget big enough for several trees I can break them down into themes, because that is super cool too.)

So, I'm going to spend this month blogging about a few of my favorite ornaments and decorations and why they are important to me.  Let me start with my newest ornaments:

Because we all want Peace.

My favorite place in Seattle, aside from my son's apartment.
I was just in Seattle for Thanksgiving visiting Zachary.  We always make a trip downtown to Pike Place.  It's just so amazing, not just PP, but Seattle.  When I saw the Pike Place Market ornament (actually purchased at  a mall, not at PPM) I decided that since Zach is only 24 and he might move around a bit in his lifetime, I should start collecting ornaments that represent where he's lived.  First stop: Seattle.  We'll have to see how this collection grows.

 I got the top ornament at a store called Earth Bound.  I loved the beading and sentiment behind it.  It's hipster yet meaningful. Peace. Enough said.

1 comment:

  1. Well! I think your Christmas Tree should be in a Southern Living Photo spread! Your tree is put together with love coming to you and going out to others....and personally, I believe this kind of Christmas Tree is one many would love to have. A tree trimmed with love! Have a wonderful Christmas season Kathy...Blessings to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete