Mother, daughter, sister, neice, cousin, and friend

Mother, daughter, sister, neice, cousin, and friend

Sunday, December 15, 2013

Ode to Billy Jack

I remember one night in the 1970's my papaw was watching me, Joey, and Karen while my mamaw and mom went shopping in Columbus, MS.  Someone let us (made the mistake of letting us) watch a Billy Jack movie.  I'm not sure sure which one it was, though I'm pretty sure it was "The Trial of Billy Jack", but I could be wrong.  Anyway, after the movie, the three of us kids were in the den (not to be confused with the living room, which is where the television was located) and we were JuMpInG oFf couches and the chair and just generally being, who else, Billy Jack.


Well, my papaw heard the ruckus and came to check on us.  I have no doubt that he thought we were actually fighting each other even though he strode into the room very calmly.  About the exact same time he walked into to the den, I was flying off the couch through the air with my arms drawn into my chest, one knee brought upwards towards my arms with the other other leg extended parallel to the floor (a-la BILLY JACK!)  most likely towards Karen or Joey, with the other cheering me on.


Like this, but much better, as only a 6 or 7  year old can do.

My papaw was a VERY calm man.   A man of few words.  That meant that when he spoke, you listened.  Well, he spoke that night.  He told us to stop jumping off the furniture and I'm sure he said something about 'acting a fool' and as he was speaking, my jump was over and I was standing back on the couch looking down, humbled, and nodding my assent.  I have no idea what Karen and Joey were doing at that moment.

But what I do know…

...is that as soon as my papaw turned around to leave I looked around, slung my head back and LAUGHED (it's Billy Jack for goodness sakes!!!  Who the hell is going to tell us to stop that???)  and then I took another flying leap off the couch.  Oops.   Papaw caught me in what must have been mid-air, whooped my butt (before Joey and Karen could even cheer!) and made me, and most likely my brother and sister, cry.   I cried!  Not because it hurt, but because MY PAPAW SPANKED ME!!!!  No, he BEAT MY ASS!

Well, that was a first.  A whooping by papaw?  Damn, dude meant business after all. Ouch! (In more ways than one.)  I had no idea that red and black couch was so precious.  My heart was broken.
So much for play-being the greatest fighter for social injustice of my time, AKA the Bad Ass Billy Jack.

Later I learned, that after my mamaw and mom got home from shopping, they asked my papaw how the night was and he replied, "I had to spank Kathy."  I'm almost certain they both shrugged and thought (or said) "Welcome to our world." and went about their business.

Thanks, Tom Laughin (Billy Jack) for bringing back this memory.  I don't look back on it as a sad or bad memory.  I look back on it with triumph and laughter.  Those were the good ole' days.  Jumping off couches wafter watching the man who stood up for this with no voice, BILLY JACK!!!!    Thanks and God Speed.  And no, I don't recall my papaw ever spanking me again, though he probably should have.


God Speed and Rest In Peace, Tom, AKA Billy.  


No comments:

Post a Comment