Mother, daughter, sister, neice, cousin, and friend

Mother, daughter, sister, neice, cousin, and friend

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Kathy's Quick Red Beans and Rice

Mardi Gras always makes me crave red beans and rice.  Alas, today I was busy playing work stuff catch up and I didn't get started menu planning until late, so I created a fast version using canned beans.  No crock pot needed.


I stared with a few ingredients and I bet you already have them on hand.


1-2 tsp bacon grease or other oil
1 celery stalk, cut into slivers
16 oz. turkey smoked sausage, cut into half-moon slices
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp dried sage
2 bay leaves
1 minced garlic clove
1 can chicken broth
2 cans red beans


In a sauce pan, start by sauteing your celery in the oil.  Then, add your sausage to brown, about 5 minutes.  Add the garlic and cook for another minute.  Next, add all your spices.  You can also use red pepper flakes or Old Bay Seasoning if you wish.  Actually, I guess you could do anything you wanted; I couldn't stop you.




Add chicken broth and beans.  I drained one can of the beans but did not rinse them.  Then, with a potato masher I did three mashes to brake up some of the beans (but not too many) to help thicken the sauce.


Bring to a boil and then let it simmer while you prepare your rice.  Tonight, I made 4 cups because TIME SAVING TIP:  I wanted left overs to use tomorrow.  I used my pressure cooker for the rice.  YAY!




Assemble by using the rice-bean ratio and sauciness to your personal liking.


 Easy Peasy!


I wish I had a colored bowl...and next time I am going to use coconut milk and a pepper to make my rice for a Jamaican flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment